The Firm’s Emerging Companies lawyers are not only seasoned legal professionals, but also possess deep experience in working with entrepreneurs. We provide a range of legal services that focus on the strategic business goals of our clients. We work with growing companies at all stages and in a wide range of industries, including information technology, hospitality, digital media, life sciences, health care, alternative energy/cleantech, telecommunications, and technology-enabled services.
Examples of our services for entrepreneurs include:
- Contracts – We advise clients on contracts covering many types of relationships and transactions. Baker Donelson lawyers regular assist companies in developing, managing, and negotiating customer and vendor agreements forms to cover frequent interactions that are important to their business.
- Capital – Capital is a precious resource and the lifeblood for emerging companies.
- We have significant experience advising clients on both debt and equity financing, including convertible notes and venture capital and angel investments. We can advise on which options may be best for each company’s particular situation, and we can assist with planning and conducting negotiations to ensure that our clients obtain the best terms.
- Technology – Technology allows emerging companies to grow and work smarter.
- Our Firm maintains a multi-disciplinary group of lawyers to assist clients with the wide-ranging issues of business technology law. With more than 150 years of cumulative experience within the Business Technology Group, Baker Donelson advises on all types of business transactions involving the purchase, sale and licensing of technology products and services.
- Intellectual Property – Emerging companies rely on the potential of their ideas, which means IP must be protected to confidently move forward.
- Our Firm’s team includes skilled patent lawyers with deep experience developing and protecting emerging clients’ intellectual property rights. In addition, we work with clients to leverage their IP through licensing, development, reseller, distribution, and other strategic agreements that generate revenue streams and other business opportunities.
- Employment – Growing companies need to pay special attention to supporting and providing proper incentives for employees.
- Our Firm’s team of experienced attorneys have advised many emerging businesses on issues such as preparing executive employment agreements; implementing stock option and other employee incentive plans; structuring employee benefit plans; establishing consulting or contractor agreements; and developing human resource polices and handbooks.
- Compliance – Emerging businesses have numerous legal and regulatory compliance risks to consider.
- Baker Donelson lawyers provide counsel regarding taxation and regulatory compliance at the local, state, federal, and international levels. We also regularly assist our clients with confidentiality, HIPAA and proprietary information agreements.
- M&A – As emerging businesses grow, many pursue deals to expand operations, acquire other companies or secure new revenue streams.
- We have experienced corporate attorneys on our team to ensure that the deals we do for clients are not only legally and technically sound, but that they also fit with the company’s strategic objectives. Our focus is always on doing the deal that helps our clients meet their goals.